A Skullcap Study

tandrsc
Hi there

I'd like to suggest a study of skullcap (scutellaria lateriflora).

This has been a miracle herb for me. Without it I sleep 12-14 hours a day, with it I sleep 9-ish. I take it as a herbal tea throughout the day.

There is some science behind this. One of the active ingredients is baicalin, which I believe acts on the benzodiazepine site of the GABA receptor (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18723037).

I think this is a similar mechanism of action to clarithromycin and flumazenil, which are newer drugs for hypersomnia (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26149554).

However, I think I have idiopathic hypersomnia rather than narcolepsy per se.

It would be great to see if others experience a similar benefit.

Re: A Skullcap Study

Mendus_Admin
Hi,

Sounds good to me! I think with supplements and herbs it's worth proposing a study for the Narcolepsy group even if your particular disorder is idiopathic hypersomnia. If the resulting action is an increase in general alertness/arousal than it may indeed be helpful.

I'm incredibly busy at the moment trying to get a cross-disorder diet study ready where members will be able to assess the effectiveness of any kind of diet. The idea came from a couple people in this group that have found a ketogenic diet is extremely helpful. I'll get your skullcap idea posted soon and hopefully it won't take too long to turn it into an actual protocol people can follow.

If you'd like to help setup a protocol let me know.

Joshua

Re: A Skullcap Study

tandrsc
Good luck with the diet type study - it sounds like an excellent idea.

I'd be happy to help with a skullcap protocol, although I'm not sure how helpful I would be. I imagine it's going to be difficult to decide on dose, method (tincture, tea, capsules) and frequency.

And that's assuming anyone else would be interested in trying it.